The Cars frontman Ric Ocasek dies aged 75

Ric Ocasek, the frontman of US band The Cars, best known for their 1980s hit single Drive, has died aged 75.

Ocasek was found dead in his apartment in Manhattan on Sunday afternoon, when police responded to a 911 call.

There were no signs of foul play and a post-mortem is to take place, the NYPD said.

Ocasek sang, played guitar and wrote most of the band’s songs. His death comes a year after The Cars were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

‘We will no longer engage with trolls’ say Lineker, Riley and Khan

Ex-England striker Gary Lineker, Countdown presenter Rachel Riley and London mayor Sadiq Khan are among a group of celebrities, politicians and campaigners who have pledged not to publicise the abuse they receive on social media from trolls.

They have been convinced by new research that suggests hate speech is being inadvertently spread through social media when insults, put-downs or worse are quoted or shared.

They will instead report the worst cases of abuse to police, while sending lesser examples to social media companies such as Twitter and Facebook to put pressure on them to act.

By refusing to respond, they believe it will starve trolls of a wider audience.

The move targets those using social media to spread racist, sexist, xenophobic and other hateful messaging through retweets and public shaming.

Match Of The Day presenter Lineker, with 7.4 million Twitter followers, says he is determined to “show online trolls the red card” after seeing the racist abuse directed at young black footballers.

Banksy painting depicting MPs as chimps to go up for auction

A Banksy painting that shows the House of Commons filled with chimpanzees is to go up for auction, where it is expected to fetch up to £2m.

The artwork, named Devolved Parliament, was unveiled 10 years ago as part of the Bristol artist’s exhibition Banksy vs Bristol Museum.

It features rows of apes sitting in the Commons wearing aprons and carrying the inscription, “Laugh now, but one day we’ll be in charge”.

The piece went back on show at Bristol Museum earlier this year to mark the 10-year anniversary of that exhibition, as well as the original Brexit deadline of 29 March.

Devolved Parliament will be auctioned at Sotheby’s in London on 3 October and is expected to sell for between £1.5-£2m.

It will be on display to the public from 28 September.

Alex Branczik, European head of contemporary art at Sotheby’s, described the mysterious artist as “a modern-day Voltaire”.

He added: “Regardless of where you sit in the Brexit debate, there’s no doubt that this work is more pertinent now than it has ever been, capturing unprecedented levels of political chaos and confirming Banksy as the satirical polemicist of our time.”

The auction comes nearly a year after Banksy’s Girl With The Balloon self-destructed as the gavel came down at Sotheby’s, becoming the newly named Love Is In The Bin.

The painting was shredded, thought to be by a remotely activated mechanism in the frame.

Moments before, the winning bid of £860,000 (£1,042,000 including buyer’s premium) was made by phone – well over the estimate of between £200,000-£300,000.

Banksy posted on Instagram after Devolved Parliament went on display in Bristol in March.

He wrote: “Devolved Parliament. I made this ten years ago.

“Bristol museum have just put it back on display to mark Brexit day.”

He ended the post by saying: “Laugh now, but one day no-one will be in charge.”

When the piece was first unveiled in 2009, the artist said: “You paint 100 chimpanzees and they still call you a guerrilla artist.”

UK UNSIGNED Finals to feature Coco Cola Project Registration

The UK UNSIGNED Finals on Sunday, October 6th at the Broadway Theatre, Catford, SE6 will include registration for the Reach Up Project, supported by UK Youth and Coco Cola. We shall be delivering the Reach Up project after the event but you will need to get to the UK UNSIGNED Finals to register. This project will work to develop the potential of 20 young people between 16 – 23 and get them skilled and ready to make their mark towards their career development or employment prospects. Our initial Reach Up project will be run at the Rosendale Centre in the Peabody Cottages estate in Herne Hill from October 14th. The UK UNSIGNED Finals will be registering young people who are interested in taking part, or text 07932949319 or register your interest via this website.

see www.ukunsigned.org.uk for details or text 07932949319.. One Love Y’Alll….

Extinction Rebellion: Climate activists glue themselves to London Fashion Week venue

Activists from the Extinction Rebellion campaign group have glued themselves to the entrance of a key London Fashion Week venue.

They were protesting against the fashion industry’s impact on climate change.

Samantha Smithson used to be a fashion designer and stylist but joined Extinction Rebellion because she decided her job and the companies she worked with were toxic for the planet.

She told Sky News: “We have to disrupt business as usual in order to get people’s attention.

“We’ve proved that disruption does work and so we will continue to do that until everyone – all industries, not just the fashion industry – gets on board and starts acting accordingly to the climate and ecological emergency we are in.”

Whatever you think about Extinction Rebellion’s tactics, its fashion-focused members are right about their target industry.

It is responsible for around 10% of global carbon emissions.

It produces almost 20% of global waste water, and often uses chemicals that are bad for the environment.

And as consumers, we don’t help either – it has been estimated that around 85% of all clothes are thrown away rather than donated, recycled or reused.

But young consumers are increasingly driving a shift in thinking.

Michael Kobori, the head of sustainability at denim maker Levi Strauss and Co, told Sky News that Generation Z (born after 1995) are going to become a target consumer, and that meeting their demands isn’t just the right thing to do but simply good business.

He said: “They are activists, they care about the future of the world, they care about the environment.

“These consumers not only want sustainable products … but what we see is that they are starting to be willing to pay a premium for those sustainable products.”

But there is resistance to change too.

Some of the world’s most famous brands send their textiles to Fabscrap recycling centre in Brooklyn, but half of them want to remain anonymous.

Fabscrap executive director Jessica Schreiber said: “In some cases I think brands really see the marketing potential right now and want to put a lot of resources behind (sustainability), and in some cases while it may be happening internally, it’s not something they want to talk about publicly.

“In some cases I’ve had a brand say ‘sustainability is not part of our image’.”

Sara Kozlowski, an executive at the Council of Fashion Designers of America, is pushing her industry to do more.

She told Sky News that the council is working on a set of binding sustainability standards for its members that could be introduced in the coming year.

She said: “I do think there’s been a key acceleration of awareness and consciousness in our community.

“But are we working fast enough? I think we have to work faster. Absolutely.”

Desperate Housewives star Felicity Huffman jailed over college admissions scandal

Desperate Housewives star Felicity Huffman has been jailed for 14 days for paying to have her daughter’s exam answers corrected.

She was also given a $30,000 (£24,000) fine, 250 hours of community service and a year of supervised release.

Huffman is the first parent to be sentenced among 34 charged in a sweeping college admissions scandal in the US.

The actress was sentenced in Boston’s federal court on Friday after pleading guilty to a single count of conspiracy and fraud in May.

Huffman admitted to paying an admissions consultant $15,000 (£12,000) to have an invigilator correct her daughter Sofia’s SAT exam answers in 2017.

Prosecutors had recommended a month in prison and a $20,000 (£16,000) fine for the actress.

Huffman’s lawyers said she should get a year of probation, 250 hours of community service and a $20,000 fine.

The American actress said before sentencing: “I am deeply ashamed of what I have done.

“I have inflicted more damage than I could ever imagine.”

The star said her daughter was unaware of the arrangement.

Huffman was pictured holding hands with her actor husband William H Macy as the couple entered the courthouse earlier.

Macy, who appeared in films including Fargo and Boogie Nights, has not been charged as part of the college admissions scandal.

Huffman and the Full House actress Lori Loughlin are among dozens of parents accused of bribing coaches and insiders at testing centres to help get their children into some of the elite universities in the country, including Stanford and Yale.

Fifteen parents have pleaded guilty while 19 are fighting the charges.

Authorities have called it the biggest college admissions scam ever prosecuted by the US Justice Department, with the parents accused of paying an estimated $25m (£19m) in bribes.

Liam Gallagher gets petty after Kaiser Chiefs pick a fight

Liam Gallagher has added a new name to the list of people he has petty feuds with on Twitter, calling Kaiser Chiefs keyboardist Nick “Peanut” Baines “p***flaps”.

Gallagher had been set for an appearance at Fall In Love Festival in Romania earlier this month but cancelled over safety fears.

The former Oasis star tweeted that he was pulling out of his performance because he was told the stage wasn’t safe, prompting Kaiser Chiefs to tweet: “If we found out a stage wasn’t safe, we’d tell the other bands on there too, right? ‘Safety comes first as always’ – for everyone. We must’ve broken it by putting on a rock n roll show 30mins before you.”

Gallagher responded in his usual combative style, writing: “This 1s for P***FLAP out of the KAISER CHEIFS all that money you spend on props ie your daft looking head I’d spend on getting yourself a decent tour manager who spots these kind of things otherwise you and your band will be going for a early bath LG x.”

A little while later he tweeted again to add: “Ps it’s naff c**** like you that give Leeds a bad name as you were LG x.”

Gallagher, 46, who is preparing for the release of his second solo album Why Me? Why Not, has a long history of pop music hostilities.

Resident Evil stuntwoman sues producers after losing arm in motorbike scene

A stuntwoman who lost her arm in a motorbike accident and spent 17 days in a coma while filming Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is suing the film’s producers.

Olivia Jackson says she was misled over the insurance cover for her injuries and claims it has only paid out $33,000 (£26,000).

The 38-year-old suffered terrible injuries when she collided with a camera on a mechanical crane that was being driven at her as she rode towards it.

Her lawsuit, filed in California, claims there were “last minute” changes to the stunt in September 2015 that meant the camera was lifted a moment later on the final run.

It says the camera smashed into her forearm with a combined speed of 71mph, “obliterating the bone” as well as “tearing her cheek flesh back leaving her teeth exposed”.

Her left arm had to be amputated and other injuries included brain swelling, punctured lungs, dozens of broken bones and a severed vital neck artery

The lawsuit says Ms Jackson’s spine has become “twisted and deformed” because of the effect of all her injuries.

It claims the $33,000 insurance money she has received does not even cover one of the potential 10 surgeries she needs.

Ms Jackson said she also later found out there was no liability coverage for her claim.

She is suing producers Paul Anderson and Jeremy Bolt, who she claims abandoned her and have not fulfilled an offer to pay all her medical bills.

Bolt Pictures and Tannhauser Gate are also listed on the lawsuit for breach of contract and misrepresentation.

Ms Jackson, who is married to British stuntman David Grant and lives in Buckinghamshire, said this week: “I miss my old face. I miss my old body. I miss my old life. It really hurts that I have to live with the aftermath of other people’s mistakes.

“I wish I had realised that there would be wholly inadequate protection for me before I ever took the role.”

Adele files for divorce from husband Simon Konecki

Adele has filed for divorce from her husband Simon Konecki, according to legal documents filed in the US.
The singer, 31, announced in April that she and Konecki, a charity entrepreneur, were separating after three years of marriage.

Court documents lodged in Los Angeles on Thursday revealed that Adele has now filed for divorce.
Adele and Konecki began dating in 2011 and had a son, Angelo, in 2012.
Confirming the couple’s split in April, Adele’s representative said they were “committed to raising their son together lovingly”.

The pair tied the knot in a private 2016 ceremony, with Adele publicly addressing the wedding for the first time during an acceptance speech at the 2017 Grammys.
In her speech, she said: “Grammys, I appreciate it. The Academy, I love you. My manager, my husband and my son, you’re the only reason I do it.”
Tottenham-born Adele released her debut album, 19, in 2008, which contained hit songs Chasing Pavements and Hometown Glory and reached number one in the UK.
Her eagerly anticipated follow-up, 21, brought even more success in 2011 thanks to the singles Someone Like You, Rolling In The Deep and Rumour Has It.
The record topped the charts in 30 countries, including the US and UK, and cemented Adele’s status as one of the world’s best-loved artists.
She released her most recent album 25 in 2015, which contained the single Hello and proved to be another critical and commercial success.
Recent reports suggest Adele is recording new music after she was pictured entering a recording studio in New York City in March.
Konecki, 45, reportedly left his job at Lehman Brothers in 2005 and founded the ethical water company Life Water.
In a 2012 interview with Management Today, Konecki said he had been “doing well and earning a lot of money” as an investment banker but “got sick of that greedy and corrupted world”.

Former 007 Pierce Brosnan says it’s time for a female Bond

Former 007 Pierce Brosnan has called for a woman to take on the role of James Bond.
The actor, who played the spy in four films between 1995 and 2002, said that the idea of having a woman play Bond would be “exciting” and “exhilarating”.

“I think we’ve watched the guys do it for the last 40 years, get out of the way, guys, and put a woman up there,” he told The Hollywood Reporter.
Producers of the next film, No time To Die, will tease fans with the idea as actor Lashana Lynch is due to take the codename 007, with James Bond himself retired from MI6.
But Brosnan does not believe that the producers will allow Bond to become a female character anytime soon.
“I don’t think that’s going to happen with the Broccolis [producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson]. I don’t think that is going to happen under their watch.”
Brosnan also added that he believes Bond’s flirty nature will change and move with the times.
“Without question, yes… The #MeToo movement has been relevant and significant and well needed in our society, so they’ll have to address that,” he said.
He also said the role of Bond will never leave him: “James Bond has a certain significance and a deep pride. I will be asked about him until my dying days – it just goes with the territory. He’s a beloved character.
“I was honoured to play the role and I rejuvenated a franchise that had been dormant,” he added.